A page explaining how to find City Codes and Ordinances and lists the Frequently Inquired Ordinances. 

City Codes and Ordinances

Click here for the Westwood Hills City Ordinances

If you are planning renovations or additions to the interior or exterior of your house or even major landscaping, please check with the Building Official or City Clerk to determine whether Building Permits are required. Permit applications are subject to approval by the Planning Commission and Building Official.

Click here to apply for a Building Permit.

Click here for information on Tax Credits.

Some important ordinances to keep in mind: Burning trash, lawn refuse, leaves, grass, or any material outdoors is strictly prohibited.

The City maintains a minimum property standards code that stipulates care and maintenance of all residential dwellings within the City limits.

Removal of diseased or dead trees is the homeowner's responsibility. City ordinance provides that if this obligation is not met promptly, the City may remove the tree(s) in question and bill the homeowner for costs incurred.

Dogs frightening people or causing disturbances are required to be penned, restrained or removed from the City. Animals being walked are required by law to be leashed.

The creek is private property and is owned by each homeowner through whose property it runs. Maintenance of the creek is the responsibility of the individual homeowner.

Westwood Hills City Ordinances

WWH Ordinance 296 Standard Traffic Ordinance 2023
WWH Ordinance 297 Uniform Public Offense Code 2023
Ordinance 276 Non-Discrimination
Discrimination Claim Form
Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity

Westwood Hills adopted the following codes:
Chapter Four – Buildings & Construction 2018 International Codes:
  • Building Code Residential Code
  • Existing Building Code
  • Fire Code Plumbing Code
  • Fuel Gas Code
  • Mechanical Code
  • Energy Conservation Code
2017 National Electrical Code
International Building Code
Uniform Public Offense Code
Standard Traffic Ordiance

Temporary Sign Ordinance Summary
Under the terms of the City’s ordinances, a person may post temporary signs, such as political signs, For Sale signs, Open House signs, or Garage Sale signs, on the person’s own property, but not any on public property or right-of-way. Permanent signs are subject to the City’s Building Code and Zoning provisions.

The total signage area of all temporary signs on a residential property may not exceed 10 square feet, with no individual sign exceeding six (6) square feet in area. Signs may not reach higher than five (5) feet from grade level and must be at least eight (8) feet from the curb line. Additionally, temporary signs may only be posted for a period of ninety (90) days. Temporary signs may not block any sidewalk or driveway and may not obstruct the view of any drivers, especially at intersections. Additionally, signs may not be posted on trees or utility poles or street sign poles.

For an open house, up to three (3) Open House signs may be posted per listed residence for the period beginning thirty (30) minutes before and ending thirty (30) minutes after the time the property is open to the public. One Open House sign may be posted on the property being offered for sale or lease. The other Open House signs may be placed elsewhere in the City, but not on any public property or right-of-way.

Yard Sale and Garage Sale signs may only be posted on the day of the sale. See full ordinance, Chapter 8, section 203 here.
Rental Properties

All Rental Properties must be registered with the City. Please contact the City Clerk at clerk@westwoodhillsks.gov to register your property.